Need Help with SaddleBags - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Need Help with SaddleBags

Hi Everyone,

I recenlty purchased a 2005 VN 750 and have been doing plenty of riding. However, I quickly found out that not having a place to carry miscelanious items with you on a bike is quite inconvenient. So far I've been getting by using a backpack, but would like to install saddlebags on my bike.

Having done some browsing, I've noticed that most bags have a capacity of 5 lbs. which doesn't seem like much, are rather limited in design options (at least the ones that are certain to fit the VN 750), and are pricey.

I am sure a lot of you have experience with this particular addtion. I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know which bags are a good fit for the bike, where they can be purchased, and any other tips you may be willing to share.

Alegas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Re: Need Help with SaddleBags

You have many options here..most of the leather saddlebags will fit the Vulcan..only the hardbags tend to be bike specific. The 5 lbs load rating is more or less a simple matter of liability..you can carry more weight in these bags, provided they are secure.
Another optionis a top case. These can be mounted to the OEM luggage rack and can hold quite a bit of stuff. They also make soft bags for racks or to strap to the passenger seat.
Tank bags are handy for smaller items, but they do make some with larger capacity. Your better of having heavy stuff spread out evenly in saddle bags or in tank bags, but I have gone on trips with passenger and 65lbs in a tail bag and had no problems.
The cheapest route it a simple set of leather/nylon saddlebags, using the Kawasaki support kit.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thank you very much for your response. I greatly appreciate the info.

A.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 PM

Does anyone recommend the KAW kit for supports and turn signal relocation? Has anyone added leather bags without relocating the turn signals? How well do they fit?

Michael
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Old Fart

Garage

Depends on the size of the bags...larger bags usualy require some adjustment to be made with the mounting or for the signals to be moved.Smaller bags may not. Some are "stiffer" and you can mount them without supports. The supports are just good safety ..as many bags, especialy when not overly full flap around a bit. The Kaw kit is fine for most of the leather saddlebags, not meant for hard bags.
If you plan on leaving the bags on all the time, you can also go "yokeless" which means cutting the yoke off between the bags and bolting each bag to the bike and the supports.
MCC offers a turnsignal reloction bar, and hopefully in the future will also offer bag supports. Right now, you can not buy either of the two by themselves from Kawasaki..they only offer a "kit" which includes both.
I do not have soft bags for my bike, so your question is best left to those that have them...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement