Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - View Single Post - Nearly finished with my wintertime overhaul
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
JColasante
FNG

Garage
Nearly finished with my wintertime overhaul

So I've just about finished my winter project on my Vulcan and was able to snap a few pictures last night. Of course, after I finally put the gas tank back on and filled it up with a gallon of gas, it turns out the petcock gasket had dried up and cracked from sitting in the cold with the tank off. I've got a rebuild kit coming in on Thursday hopefully, and then it'll be ready to go. I fired her up and got her running with gas dripping out the petcock anyway, just to make sure she was gonna start up when I wanted her to.

So the laundry list of things I did was:
-New handlebars (half-apes, no control adjustments needed)
-New handgrips
-Bar-end mirrors
-New headlight assembly, headlight mounts, turn signals, and headlight handlebar-mounted headlight cowl
-Re-build the front forks and painted the lower forks black, added Kawasaki decals.
-Remove the front fender, rear fender, side covers, and tank, stripped the Teal paint off down to metal, and repainted and coated with 2k clearcoat. Additionally I removed the triple-tee and the gauge clusters and painted them all black as well
-Polished the corroded clearcoat off the wheels, painted the inner rims black, added reflective rim tape
-Removed the seatback frame, cut and folded the rear seat, build a new bracket underneath for the seat to bolt to, and painted the rear cargo rack
-New rear turn signals, attached to the bracket leftover on the cargo rack from removing the seat frame.
-Ear shave was previously done but I had left the airboxes on, so I finally removed them and installed a Nautilus airhorn on the right hand side.
-Slapped on a fresh new set of tires, and put a 170 in the back. The guy at the shop that mounted the tire said it was "disgustingly oversized".

Overall, it ended up being a MUCH more involved project than I was expecting but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm loving the new look though. Eliminating the rear backrest was the biggest thing for me as I thought it was ugly as sin.

Anyway, what do you all think? I need a new set of shocks for the back, and want something that sits stock height or maybe an inch lower (if I can get away with it with the bigger tire) and black to match the rest of the bike. Any suggestions there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new vulcan 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	30690   Click image for larger version

Name:	new vulcan 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	30698   Click image for larger version

Name:	new vulcan 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	30706  

1995 VN750:
Ear shaved, re-jetted with 142/42 & 2 needle shims.
New modified front end with Maier GP fairing, half-ape handlebars, supersport grips and bar-end mirrors.
Stock seat, cut and modified to remove the passenger backrest.
Factory-Spec Sportster shocks.
Self-fabricated rider's backrest.
Engine guards and highway pegs.
Custom-made straight pipes, fiberglass-wrapped exhaust.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome