Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Is it OK to put in iridium plugs when I know they will get fouled before tuning

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  gidaeon 
#1 ·
So I know my bike was running poorly (rich) before I got it based on the old plug color.

I want to put in recommended Iridium BUT I know carb mixture is currently crap. Should I wait and use cheaper plugs first to get bike up and running? I guess I am asking if its possible to foul an iridium plug in a permanently bad way?

Today I couldn't get it to start even on startfluid (drained, soaked, and re-filled carb bowls too). I tested all 4 plugs for spark. Check!

All plugs were getting wet, but no firing and few horrible backfires.

#2 ·
wet plugs, all plugs receiving spark....?
= old/dead gasoline:(

#3 ·
I drained the carbs, multiple times! the spark color was white'ish on each. Only one got a little blue. (I don't have my AGM battery yet and am using jumpers to a good RV deep cell)

I have the tank off. and filled bowls and hoses to carbs with straight seafoam (wouldn't) fire and then known good gas too.

My thoughts was buy some new plugs might as well be iridiums, to try. One of the current spark plugs is rusty at the base (before threaded area) from recessed opening opening on that cylinder.

I know there is compression, I know there is fresh gas, and I know there was spark (at least weak spark when tested).

I don't get it :-(

#4 · (Edited)
I drained the carbs, multiple times! the spark color was white'ish on each. Only one got a little blue. (I don't have my AGM battery yet and am using jumpers to a good RV deep cell)

I have the tank off. and filled bowls and hoses to carbs with straight seafoam (wouldn't) fire and then known good gas too.

My thoughts was buy some new plugs might as well be iridiums, to try. One of the current spark plugs is rusty at the base (before threaded area) from recessed opening opening on that cylinder.

I know there is compression, I know there is fresh gas, and I know there was spark (at least weak spark when tested).

I
don't get it :-(
I don;t get it either............Compression ?....you say weak spark ?

Has anyone had the valve timing chains off... ?:nerd:

Have you had this engine running or witness this engine running ?
Did you just get this bike ?
? ? ?

#7 ·
I agree w Caleb. Get some inexpensive plugs and get the bike together enough to run on its own without jumping from another vehicle etc. You'll never be able to troubleshoot with a messed up set up like that. Too many variables...

#8 ·
It will probably do a lot better with a good battery, mine was hard to start and backfired with the weak wet cell on it.

You probably couldn't ruin a new set of plugs that way, but I doubt that's why it's not starting. The weak spark is probably due to low voltage at the battery.

When you connect jumpers to a weak battery, you immediately lose some voltage just by the weak battery taking some of the power. Then the starter drops available voltage even more.

#9 ·
Thanks. I'll find some regular copper NGK to try for now.

Yesterday I was using jumpers from a 6 month old 650+ CCA RV deep cell battery straight to bike battery cables. I recognize the inefficiencies and variables added with jumpers and will be sure to read the levels on freshly charged batteries today.

Hopefully when the MF AGM arrives it will makes things easier along with plugs.

#13 ·
I will read\research threads on that tonight. I'm a total newbie with bikes but at least average with mechanical endeavors?

Originally I intended to not mess with as little as possible while I get things up and running.

#12 ·
well.. I didn't do a formal compression test (I do have compression kit\gauge but there's no way I have the right adapter for those ports\threads). I can just hear and tell compression. I verified compression happening at carb port.

The gas tank is still off. should I plug the carb vaccum line that would go to petcock? I've plugged that after filling bowls with seafoam or gas anyway.

I could put a vaccum gauge on that carb line or would that not be helpful vs. actual cylinder compression test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.