Misfire & Backfire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > Engine / Exhaust / Cooling

Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 PM

VSB is on a distinguished road
Misfire & Backfire

Hi guys,

I'm new here and new to vulcans. I just got a '93 VN750. I really enjoy the bike and riding, but it has two small problems. The bike doesn't want to idle until the engine is fully up to operating temperature and it is hesitates like it has a misfire problem. Today one cylinder totally cut out so the bike was just running/driving on the other cylinder. After the bike got up to operating temperature both cylinders were working/firing. The bike was sitting out in the rain for only 5 to 10 minutes the night before.

It seems now and then the battery is having a hard time cranking the engine starter. The battery is just three days old and was fully charged before installation.

And besides this "dead cylinder" that came back to life; the engine always feels like it has no spark on one cylinder or spark coil. This is causing the engine to backfire and sputter some.

Ideas of what it can be?

Some things of what i think it may be:
bad spark plug wire/s,
fouled spark plug/s,
airbox is not sealed airtight,
battery cables corroded or worn out,
bad or corroded electrical ground,
short circuit in the wire harness somewhere,
bad ignition coil,
vacuum leak near carbs,
stator not working correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Calif Rider

weh44att is on a distinguished road
Is the battery a lead acid or MF battery? Mf batteries give you more cranking power on cold starts. How good is the battery charging, check voltage. Try cleaning up all your electrical connections. How do the spark plugs look when you pull them. Everything you mentioned could be the cause of the cylinder cutting out.
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM

unclephil is on a distinguished road
I've got something similar on my "new" '92, the front cylinder cuts in/out.
Rode in to work today on one cyl, hope it starts OK tonight like that...

The plugs were clean last time I checked, but I can smell raw gas at stoplights and the backfiring is definitely in the right exhaust only. So that narrows it down to (most likely) a front spark issue.

If you can narrow down the possibilities to front/back, fuel/nofuel, you'll probably git 'er fixed faster.
Good luck.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

hyperbuzzin will become famous soon enoughhyperbuzzin will become famous soon enough
Once again, try Seafoam. It's available at many auto part stores and many Wal-marts are now carrying it.

Could also be the carbs need some attention (cleaned/check for bad hoses)
Neither of ya mention how many miles are on your bikes or what kind of general condition they're in.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

.......... Vulcan Verses - Table of Contents ..........
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM
x-dirt

dutter is on a distinguished road
2x on the seafoam, that may be the place to start. some have had battery issues that made the bike run bad. maby you can check the battery with a multimeter or you can take the bike to autozone where they will check it for free. good luck
Old 10-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Once Banned

cegodsey can only hope to improve
As with the rest of the gang, make sure it is a Maintenance Free battery (it doesn't have anywhere to add water). All the parts stores (including walmart) show that a wet cell battery will fit our bikes, but in reality, they may only work for a couple of weeks at the most. You'll need a Maintenance Free (MF), also called an AGM battery.

Assuming that it's not the battery, it could very well be your charging system.

As to the misfiring, you'll probably need to clean the carbs. I'd try doing a search in the box above for gumout, and review the procedure to "backwash" the crud out. Here's the link: http://vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8345
If that doesn't work, you may need to pull the carbs. Personally, I'd recommend letting the shop do it, unless you are REAL HANDY with mechanical stuff.

BUT, before trying the gumout and carb cleaning, try the SeaFoam as per HyperBuzzin. There's nothing like it, so don't use just any gas treatment. Add about an ounce per gallon. You can get it at most auto parts stores, it looks like this:

Run through a tank with it, and see if it helps.
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles

Last edited by cegodsey; 10-09-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Old Truck Junkie

niterider will become famous soon enough
Usually when back fire is mention along with rain or washing the bike. In many cases it is water in the fuel. drain both carbs and add some kind of water remover in the tank and try it again.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Sky Rider is on a distinguished road
If the bikes sat for a long time before you acquired them, you could have a lot of crud in the carb bowls. Seafoam treatments have worked for most but if that doesn't work, pulling and cleaning the carbs is in order. It doesn't take much to clog one of the very small jets in the carb. One quick fix which has worked for me it to take a 4mm allen wrench and drain the carb bowls. You'd be surprised how much gunk comes out with the gas. Once the bowls are drained, close the drain plugs and restart the bike. It may help get rid of what ever crud is blocking the jets. This trick has worked for me.

If the bike is misfiring and you can smell raw fuel, it's a carb problem. If the cylinder is cutting out in a certain speed range, it could be an ignition problem but it could also be a carb problem with a clogged or missing jet. I had the high speed jet come completely out of its mount and drop to the bottom of the carb bowl which made the rear cylinder stop running at anything over 3k RPM.
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Benjammin'

BSkaggs513 is on a distinguished road
I agree with the Seafoam suggestion. I had similar issues with another bike that was just a crudded carb. Also- chase the ground connections on your battery to the frame and then the frame to the engine. Remove the screws and clean the terminals where they contact. A dirty ground will prevent charging and make the bike slow to turn over. Sandpaper is good for the cleaning.

Good luck!

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
Sponsored Links