Coolant change - with photos - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > Engine / Exhaust / Cooling

Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Harvey_birdman is on a distinguished road
Coolant change - with photos

Here are some pics I took while changing the coolant on my 2005 Vulcan 750.

What you'll need:
* Antifreeze
* Distilled water (mix with antifreeze to make a 50/50 mixture)
* Solvent/Cleaner (I used some brake parts cleaner)

* Socket set (10mm socket and extension especially)
* Phillips screwdriver (I used an electric but a manual will do fine)
* Open end wrench - 10mm.
* Drain pan - not pictured.

Step 1. Start with a cool bike. The coolant is under pressure when the engine is warm. NEVER OPEN THE RADIATOR ON A HOT BIKE.

Step 2. Put the bike up on the center stand. (Here's a helpful video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6jGdzn4V4 ).

Step 3. Place the drain pan under the front of the bike.

Step 4. Use your socket set to remove the drain plug from the lower right side of the crankcase. Coolant will start to drain so make sure the pan is in position.

Step 5. Use your socket to remove the drain plug from the lower right side of the radiator. Coolant will continue to drain, so position the pan as appropriate.

Step 6. Remove the right-side steering cover. It is secured by two small screws and latches to the left side cover, but is easily removed.

This will expose the radiator cap.

Step 7. Remove the radiator cap by turning counterclockwise and pushing down. Note that when the radiator cap is removed the coolant may begin to flow more freely. Make sure the drain pan is still positioned properly.

Step 8. Using the 10mm socket, remove the drain plugs at the bottom of the front cylinder (right side) and rear cylinder (left side). Be ready for more coolant to drain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Step 9. Using the socket extension and the 10mm socket, remove the coolant reservoir tank overflow cover.

This will expose the reservoir tank. Remove the reservoir tank cover, and then gently pull out and empty the tank. Do not disconnect the hoses, and when reinstalling make sure the hose is still connected.

Step 10. You may wish to take the bike off the centerstand and gently move it left to right to ensure all remaining coolant is removed. In my humble opinion, as long as the coolant changes are done on a regular schedule, there should be no need to remove every single last drop. If it has been too long between services you may wish to consider flushing the system with distilled water. I will not cover this procedure at this time.

Step 11. With the bike back on the centerstand, reinstall the reservoir tank and cover, the cylinder drain plugs, the crankshaft drain plug, and the radiator drain plug. Leave the radiator cap off.

Step 12. Fill the reservoir tank to the "full" mark. Using a funnel, slowly begin filling the radiator filler neck with coolant.

Step 13. Once full, turn your attention to the bleed screw. The manual suggests removing the fuel tank, and if you haven't done this or a similar procedure before I recommend the same for 2 reasons. First, removing the tank will give you a clearer picture of what you are doing and makes access to the bleeder screw easier. Second, removing the tank helps you understand more of how your bike functions, and that's always a good thing.

However, it is easy to access the bleeder screw without removing the tank.

Step 14. Open the bleeder screw slightly and using one hand on the open end wrench (I believe 10mm again!) and one hand filling the radiator with coolant fill until coolant begins running smoothly from the bleeder screw, at which point you should close the bleeder screw.

Step 14. Fill the radiator up to the radiator filler neck and reinstall the cap. Replace the steering cover.

Step 15. Check the system for leaks. Start the engine, warm it up and then shut it down. Check the coolant level in the reservoir tank and fill if necessary.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Step 16. Using the cleaner/solvent and a rag, wipe down any areas where coolant was exposed to painted surfaces.

Further information:

The manual reccomends a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water. DO NOT USE TAP WATER. Coolant should be of a type designed for an aluminum engine and radiator. Total capacity is approximately 1.8 litres.

Do not store unused antifreeze/water mixture in a gallon water jug. I've done this before and the mix winds up leaking out of the jug.

Dispose of used coolant properly. Many auto parts stores will take it. DO NOT DUMP IT IN YOUR BACKYARD. It is toxic and will kill household pets.

Next week - Air filter cleaning/replacement.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Search Goddess

Dianna has a spectacular aura aboutDianna has a spectacular aura aboutDianna has a spectacular aura about
Very nice write-up and pictures! Thank you!
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Giggity!

kanuck69 has a spectacular aura aboutkanuck69 has a spectacular aura aboutkanuck69 has a spectacular aura about
Another exellent work posting! I'd love to see an engine pull like this. lol Seriously though. It would be interesting. Great Job Harvey birdman!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
85 VN 700

curtis97322 is on a distinguished road
Kudos! I'm sure we'll be referencing to this writeup often! Wish I'd had a guide like this back when I did my coolant change.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 AM
HAWK

Ccspinner is on a distinguished road
That is great, helps for those with questions
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 AM

vn750joe is on a distinguished road
I may have done something wrong but I found it necissary to pull the tank off on my 86 to get to the covers.......

Also I highly recommend a GREEN coolant as checking it's fill level on the outside of the resevior is easier. I goofed and went with the YELLOW and it's much tougher to check the coolant level.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn750joe View Post
I may have done something wrong but I found it necissary to pull the tank off on my 86 to get to the covers.......
That is what the manual reccomends, and there's nothing wrong with taking off the tank. It's a tight fit to get at it with the tank on but i was able to do it.

Now if only the weather would improve up here I could take it out for a ride.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Another exellent work posting! I'd love to see an engine pull like this. lol Seriously though. It would be interesting. Great Job Harvey birdman!
One thing at a time, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement