Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Rebuild of LULU

17K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  Mastertech 
#1 ·
OK,

I have stripped off every thing thats comming off.

Now it is time to start putting her back to geather.

I painted the final drive and the swing arm Gloss black to match her rims that go to the powder coater monday.

and i fit tested the Jardene exaust.

And WOOPEEEE the painter called the candy is done and I put on the graphics monday night. I will post pics of the proccess.

:motorcycl

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Can't wait to see pics.
I'm interested in seeing how the wheels look with the drive unit painted too.
I've thought about doing that a few times.

#5 ·
I'm planning on turning my vulcan into a project bike once I buy a Bonneville America. Probably not for another year. I'll be watching this thread for those little things you don't find in the manuals.

Speaking of manuals I have a Clymers manual. Are they any better or worse than any others?

#6 ·
Speaking of manuals I have a Clymers manual. Are they any better or worse than any others?
I think there are two agreed-upon problems with Clymers: first, they tell ya to pull the engine for everything (changing spark plugs, cleaning bugs off windshield, checking tire pressure...) - but folks here can tell ya ways around some of those "inconveniences;" Second, the pictures are darned-near impossible to see - I thought it was just my manual (too old), but Hyper says that's kinda how they all are. Haven't seen if there's a Haynes manual for the 750s, but I have one for carb/carb theory and the pics aren't too good there, either.

Otherwise, though, Clymers seems to give pretty decent directions for most tasks.

#7 · (Edited)
Well I was back out in the garage today and fully installed the exaust and put the new pegs on. Looks Sweet! I polished all the shinny parts and hung them on the wall for now.

thats about all i can do for now untill I get all the parts in. OMG what a list.

2 Crome Edge guard
1 celstar head light visor
2 Chrome Cable Covering
2 Chrome Flame Accents - 6" flame (Pair)
3 Chrome Flame Accents 3-1/4" flame (pair)
1 Kuryakyn Small Ball-Milled License Plate Frame
1 Memphis SLIMS MOUNTING HARDWARE KAWASAKI #19149
1 Memphis Shades Turn Signal Relocation Kit
1 15" Memphis Slims*Gradient Ruby
1 Progressive rear shocks # 418-1002C
1 PROGRESSIVE® SUSPENSION FORK SPRINGS
1 Kawasaki Vulan 700 750 Passanger back rest
1 Mustang Kawasaki Vulcan 700/750 Regal Wide Tour Seat
1 VN750 CHROME Radiator Cover Vulcan 750
1 Mustang Kawasaki Vulcan 700/750 Studded Sissy Bar Pad
1 SEAL-OIL,S3141 5.5
1 BEARING-NEEDLE,KN35/2
1 SEAL-OIL
1 RING-O
1 O RING
1 CASE-TOOL
2 BEARING-BALL
1 DAMPER,FUEL TANK
1 O RING
2 BEARING-BALL,#6303UUC
1 TechGlide chromed Turn signal visor
1 Kewl Metal Universal Fork Flames
1 Crome radiator cover

NEW tip (i think) For the black plastic parts like the neck covers and the black on the ears throw a coat of gloss black spray paint on them and then wipe it off with a paper towel. They look like new!

I have to find my camara and take the pics of my progress. I will post tonight.

Well Here are the Pics. :smiley_th I will post the paint and graphic application tomorow!

Attachments

#8 ·
Everything looks pretty shiny there Lurch!
Maybe ya better add a new pair of sunglasses to that list while you're at it!:motorcycl

#9 ·
LOL already went out and got my self a new pair of oaks! :D

#10 ·
Wheels at the power coater cost $223.00 "ouch" but he also will do a second stage and clear the rims after applying the black for free.

Nice Guy ;)

#12 ·
Well a minor comunication break down with the painter I told him i would be there at 5 on monday when i dropped off the tins. He figured i would call earlier to confirm. OH well no gaphics yet (tomorow) but i did get to see the color WOW he is good! We looked over the grapics and choose 5 good ones that would not over ride the paint. I took home the side covers so i could see the level line and mark it off

So i did not want to squash or distort the paint pics so here are the pics: :pepper:

The camara battery died after taking the dusty pic LOL

Oh, The blue ******** light lenses came in as did the crome res cover.

Well see u all tomorow.

#28 ·
Oh, The blue ******** light lenses came in as did the crome res cover.
Hey Lurch, where'd you get the blue dot headlight lense, and what one did you order? Does it fit in your bucket? Been looking around as I have a rock chip in my OEM lense...Thanks!

#13 ·
That's some shiny red ya got there !!!
Although I'm not a big fan of red, with the black wheels and other parts, it should look pretty sweet :smiley_th

#14 · (Edited)
Well it was a total pain in the ass to get the graphis on the tank! I had to pull them off and re apply. Rember to measure 10 times and then 1 more time.

Every thing else went on like butter!

Here are the pics

Woo HOOOOOOOOO!:rockon:

This is Chris my painter I highly recomend him.

The final clean up of the tins (the side graphics look cool)

Before Paint

One last check

And the clear

Speck of dust LOL

The First coat of clear

Front fender Looks sweet!

Well I pick up the wheels after work more pics comming!

#15 ·
Lookin' awesome Lurch....very cool job! :rockon:

#18 ·
Well the "@#$@&$@" Power Coater did not have my rims done as prommised GRRRRRRR! :mad: I walked in to the office and my rims were still setting on the floor where i left them. Now thats not the worst of it the owner was not there and one of the employees told me that their sand blaster was broken since thursday. So when he took my parts there was no way he could complete the job as prommised. And since I already paid with my CC i dont have enough to send them to a diffrent shop so im on hold till they repair there sand blaster. The guy told me it may be next week before i get them. :(

Oh well what can you do? :doh:

#19 ·
Oh man, that's frustrating! Not to rub salt in but it will probably be perfect weather til you get them back! That's how it was when my helmet was recalled. Perfect for two weeks until the day it arrived from Fulmer, it rained, and it's rained on and off since. (sigh...) Some of these farmers would probably pay me to polish my bike on weekends. I did that on Saturday, took one short ride and it's been raining since. I'm not complaining, since we need the rain, but I know how you feel.

#20 ·
Fergy dont get me started on all the delays and the perfect weather I am having. See my vender post LOL. By the time i have all the parts and i get to put Lulu back togeather she wont be done till the end of the month. Im going totaly crazy with out my bike and here in Cal gas is almost 3 bucks a gallon its nuts I know i sound like a :baby: but dam i need to ride before i forget how to lol. :)

#23 ·
I did not catch the manufacturer it was not one i recognized but i pick up the tins tomorow and i will ask. Chris tells me that the clear he uses looks like its just been shot log after it drys. :D

#24 ·
:smiley_th I have to agree with everyone here. That is one pretty paint job!!

Good luck with your rims. I'm crossing my fingers.

#25 · (Edited)
Well,

I am off to pick up my Tins WOOP! WOOP! and more parts arrived today.

Stuff that came in

From Bike bandit all OEM stuff

SEAL-OIL,S3141 5.5
BEARING-NEEDLE,KN35/2
SEAL-OIL
RING-O
O RING
CASE-TOOL
BEARING-BALL
DAMPER,FUEL TANK
O RING
BEARING-BALL,#6303UUC

****OH does any one want to buy my extras? I accidently got 1 extra set of front wheel berrings and tool box door assembly? ***

From J&P Cycles

Progressive fork springs.

From Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse

Memphis slims ruby wind shield
Memphis slims Turn signal relocators

From Good deals ru (ebay)
Crome radiator shroud

Will put on as much as I dare this weekend and i just called the power coater they told me i can pick up the rims tomorow!

I will post pics as ususal when i can :motorcycl

Ok i could not resist setting the tank and side covers on just to get an idea LOL

#27 ·
Lookin' good Lurch, keep us updated as progress continues! :)

#31 ·
Wheel Berrings and me 2 things that mean jury rigged.

Wow it amazes me just how stubborn I am. Its 10:00 pm i have my newly power coated rims in my living room and im pressing in the berrings using a claw hammer and a candel stick holder. I have to teach a class in the morning and right after i want to get my tires mounted and ballanced. Oh I bought a new rear tire 170/80 15 with a flame tread from IRC. Got a good deal for it at 100. bucks. My issue is i now must take the rims and tires to a place called wing works they have a machime that wont damage the power coat. I will take pics of the rims in the morning as it already midnight and i have to get up at 6:00 and i am an old man LOL. :zzz: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.