750 vs. 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > VN750 General Discussion

VN750 General Discussion
General discussion for the VN750/700
Isn't specific to one of the other forums?
Here's the place to post it

Ordering is simple at www.jpcycles.com

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM

WillRose is on a distinguished road
750 vs. 900

I'm considering selling my '94 VN750 and replacing it with a VN900.

Can you folks give me some input on the differences, other than the obvious difference in cc's.

I'm not dissatisfied with the 750, but I'd like to be able to find a few accessories to add, without having to adapt or re-engineer the bike to use them.

And, another question. I've been trying to install BarEnders on my 750, and find that the right handlebar end has a lip on the inside, so the ender won't fit, but the left end is smooth inside and will fit. Since this isn't a one-owner bike, does that mean that someone replaced the stock handlebars, or maybe cut off the left end a bit? (I hate not knowing all the history on this bike, and even moreso, all the problems and challenges it has presented me with.)

(Sorry if this has been discussed before - I don't seem to be able to find my way to see old threads except in archives.)

Thanks!

Last edited by WillRose; 07-13-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 AM

shark88 will become famous soon enough
900's are nice bikes, a little heavier but a whole lot more room if you want to ride 2-up. They had some closeouts at my local dealer & they were tempting, I just couldn't talk myself into one right now. Gas milage is'nt bad either, I think they're around 45mpg.

Current project 2003 VN750
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Drag Pipes
Arlen Ness Air Cleaner
2" handlebar risers
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Chuck A. will become famous soon enough
Week of the 4th the local deal had the 2012 900 for $7100 plus tax. They had put the matching painted hard bags on there too. It was the green color. Hurt to have to walk away.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 AM

Thanks for the input.

A little heavier wouldn't be a problem, as my maxi-scooter outweighs the vn750 by about 200#.

I would like a bit lower seat height and bit more room, so the 900 is looking good at this point for those, and since I really want to stay with a Vulcan of some sort, if at all possible.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 AM

pittdave is on a distinguished road
im in the same boat..i just get a lot of 'anything under 1100' is a wimp bike
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Sparky!!!

slimvulcanrider has a spectacular aura aboutslimvulcanrider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
im in the same boat..i just get a lot of 'anything under 1100' is a wimp bike
I used to get the same thing, until my buddies actually rode with me. Now they are asking what they can do to their bikes to keep up with me.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:58 PM

denny6006 has a spectacular aura aboutdenny6006 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I used to get the same thing, until my buddies actually rode with me. Now they are asking what they can do to their bikes to keep up with me.
You obviously ride with the wrong people,I have rode the 750 and liked it but in the real world it doesn't compare to the 1500 with a cold air kit and added fuel.I don't ride in the back,just saying...
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM
HWLBTSDBTS

Knifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura about
No clue in the lip on the right bar, unless the previous owner dropped it or cut it. A little work with a round file or dremel tool should solve the problem though.

I really like the 900 custom. There was a special edition black one that was really nice too.. (I'm not a fan of spoke wheels)

Power... No real improvement performance wise, but the bike sounds less busy and more relaxed at highway speeds than the 750 does.

The aftermarket angle is a often mentioned one concerning the 750. Keep in mind 20 years from now finding stuff for the 900 will be similar..(but still a bit better)

It's important to not let anyone else pressure you into any bike but to find the one YOU like and stick to your choice.

Any guy telling me my bike isn't big enough gets the response - " Guys that feel the need for larger bikes and make fun of those with smaller ones usually are trying to make up a shortcoming in some other area.........if that indeed is true....I should be riding a 250....."
Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Sparky!!!

slimvulcanrider has a spectacular aura aboutslimvulcanrider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
You obviously ride with the wrong people,I have rode the 750 and liked it but in the real world it doesn't compare to the 1500 with a cold air kit and added fuel.I don't ride in the back,just saying...
Theirs were bone stock.. mine aint... but then again, now that they have new pipes, cold air kits, hyper chargers and all kinds of other go fast goodies, they kick my butt. They still give me respect now because they still can't believe that a 750 twin can wind up so quickly and is so nimble through the twisties.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
No clue in the lip on the right bar, unless the previous owner dropped it or cut it. A little work with a round file or dremel tool should solve the problem though.
That's what I've decided to do. I haven't tried removing the stock grips, and have Grip Puppies over them now. It looks like I'll need to trim the hole in the end of the grip open somewhat wider, though, if I don't take the grip off completely to get to the inside of the bar. I'd like to keep the grip over the edge when I put on the BarEnder. I might also just grind off the end 1/4" of the bar - probably quicker than filing the inside down. It already seems like the right end of the handlebar is longer than the left, by the width of the lip. I suspect the bar on the left was shortened by the PO at some point, though I can't imagine why that would have been.

Quote:
I really like the 900 custom. There was a special edition black one that was really nice too.. (I'm not a fan of spoke wheels)
Yep, the Custom is what I've been looking at. I'm not fond of spokes either.

Quote:
Power... No real improvement performance wise, but the bike sounds less busy and more relaxed at highway speeds than the 750 does.
After riding my big Burgman 650 ("motorcycle-dressed-up-to-look-like-a-scooter" that sounds like a sewing machine) for several years, I do find the 750 sees busy and tense, all right.

Quote:
The aftermarket angle is a often mentioned one concerning the 750. Keep in mind 20 years from now finding stuff for the 900 will be similar..(but still a bit better)
Actually, this is the most minor concern for me. I want to have some options available to me *now*, as I'm a 65-year-old typically impatient woman. Most likely only my estate might be faced with the limited options problem 20 years from now...

Thanks so much for all your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement