Front Cylinder Oil Leak - Please Help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > Engine / Exhaust / Cooling

Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
'85 VN700 Owner

bcjoker04 is on a distinguished road
Front Cylinder Oil Leak - Please Help!

Hello Group,

I seem to have developed a bad oil leak somewhere on the front cylinder head on the front of the engine (just behind the radiator). It drips about one drip per 15 seconds when the engine is warm.

I cannot see the exact location of the leak, however, I know it is within a couple inches of the hose going into the cylinder head, I believe (not sure) this hose comes off of the "main air duct" below the gas tank and goes into the cylinder head. The leak is on the left side (left side of the engine if you were sitting on the bike) of the exhaust port. Again, I cannot see the leak but it is definitely coming from this area.

The manual says one cause of oil leaks could be the "air filter breather hose". Is that the small vacuum line looking hose that simply gets pushed into the right ear air filter box?

I don't know, but are there any external oil lines that bolt into the front of the cylinder that could be leaking?

This leak occurred right after the following work was completed (I don't know if it is a coincidence or not).
Changed the oil and filter, changed the coolant and lower radiator hose, spark plugs and air filters. (Note: when I changed the air filters, I DID pull out that small hose on the right ear and then put it back into the air filter box, I was trying to figure out it's purpose)

If you guys know what could be causing this leak, I would love to hear your suggestions.

As always, thank you for your time.

Adam
85 VN700 w/15,600 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 PM

Ernom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ernom
Well I got oil leaking problem last weekend. It's leaking when the engine is warm and how much oil leaks out depends on how long I've been riding etc. It showed that the oil leaks from the right side because of an o-ring failure. Btw you can read about it on the forum how to fix it.
So I would recommend to take a closer look at it if you not alrdy did it.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 AM
'85 VN700 Owner

bcjoker04 is on a distinguished road
Update,

Cutting the vacuum hose in the right "ear" to a 45 degree angle did not fix the leak. I am half way done (must sleep for now) with taking off the radiator so that I can get a better look. If it is one of the gaskets, is my only option pulling the engine and replacing the gasket? I am hoping there is some magic quick fix, lol. If only everything was that easy huh?

Adam
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 AM

Dan is on a distinguished road
I hope it's not the gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder. I did one on my Honda once; it's wasn't too bad a job, but not too much fun either.
good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement