Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Clicking Noise

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Crobins365 
#1 ·
My bike started making a clicking noise about 2 weeks ago. It seems to be getting worse. One shop I took it to said they didn't know what it was but his 800 was doing the same thing. Not going there again. Another shop took a guess without getting too involved that it might be the camshaft tensioner needing adjusting. I have about 6000 miles on my 04 bike. The last 2500 are mine. Has anyone ran into this? Is this something I can adjust on my own or is it recommended to take it to someone?

#4 · (Edited)
http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/images/sounds/cam_chain_noise.wav - Here's a link to what someone posted earlier related to cam chain tensioner noise. DOes it sound something like that? Your location is spot-on for the ACCT - but don't go to a dealer. There's lots of folks here who can walk you through the reloading process - if what's called the Grambo Trick doesn't work, we can get you going for $20 (new springs) and about an hour of your time.

#5 ·
If you know what the automatic cam chain tensioners are, there's one on each jug, both facing the rear of the bike. On the left side you can see the front one under the carb. It will have a 10mm screw into the top of it. Remove that screw and take a small screwdriver or screwdriver bit and slip it in there, find the grove for the tensioner shaft and turn it clockwise about one turn and let it snap back. it's spring loaded. Replace the 10mm screw. On the right side of the bike, it's located behind the coolant overflow bottle. Remove the inset 10mm bolt holding the bottle in place, move it out of the way and remove the 10mm screw from the head of the tensioner, repeat the process by turning the shaft inside clockwise letting it snap back, install the screw, reinstall the overflow tank and start the bike. See if it still makes the noise. If not, one or both of the tensioners were just stuck, or the springs are getting weak.

This is the "Grambo" trick, and on mine it quieted it down for a few days, but my weak springs caused the noise to come back pretty quick so I replaced the springs in them. Hope this helps! Here's a diagram of the cam system. The tensioners are the part numbered 12048 which there of course are two of.

#6 ·
I don't think it was mentioned but the audio clip is a before and after repair demo. You'll notice the clicking in the first half disappears in the second half.

#7 ·
The way I first heard a bad tensioner described, and it sounds like it to me, was like shaking up a can of spray paint. Many times the noise is just from one side, but eventually they'll both need replaced.

#12 ·
Replaced my springs with new ones. Procedure kind of tricky. The clicking noise went away and it sounded like it did when I first bought it.:smiley_th

Several days later, I rode from Birmingham down to Auburn and back (about 200 miles total), and guess what, the clicking noise is back and worse than before. With only 7500 miles on this bike, its not likely that the cam chain is stretched yet. Planning on taking the tensioners off and inspecting them to see if they are still working like they are supposed to.

This has got me frustrated.:hitanykey

Being a Bama fan, I wonder if riding so close to Auburn Tiger country jinxed my bike?

Just kiddin, Tiger Fans.:beerchug:

#13 ·
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4793

This was an earlier discussion...gosh, was it today? I hate Mondays. Anyway, it's entirely possible that the springs didn't get loaded quite right and you may have to do them again. As Hyper says in the above thread, "you can do this!" And lots of times (I'm learning) you have to take a couple of stabs at a repair before you get it completely right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.