Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

My Project bike potential problem

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  new rider 9984 
#1 · (Edited)
So It looks like I have a buyer for my project bike I fixed up last Summer. I got it out today to show it to him and put the trickle charger on it. I started it up before he got there to run it through it's paces and I kept getting a very loud POP from the left side exhaust. Dam near sounded like a gun going off, and it happened a few times. After running it and taking it around the block it seemed to stop doing it. Then when I parked it I noticed smoke coming from around the exhaust flange, so I guess the new gasket I put in isn't doing it's job and is leaking. Would that along cause such a loud backfire or do you think because it sat for 2 months maybe the carb is the issue? :doh:
Also it has Jardine pipes on it (both exit on right) and it never did this before after I got it running again. I'm hoping it will just go away.

#2 ·
You mentioned that you put it on a trickle charger, did you ck to see what the statis of the battery was before starting it? A low battery may still be just enough to get it going and will cause some pretty loud backfiring! Mine did that after I first bought it(back fire very loud sometimes, cold or warm start). I knew from day one the batt was weak and as soon as installing a new one (agm) all that stoped. Probably if is is running rich(you said left side) that would aggrivate it too. I would suggest charging that batt to it's fullest and try it again.

#3 ·
Stuck float for sure....cyl/exhaust will fill with gas, and when it eventually ignites, well, kaboom....I done it plenny of times....even with flames, lol...if it ran well after riding a bit, its prolly only partially stuck....backblow it...

#4 ·
That was my thought exactly. I think I scared the crap out a few people that were in the lot behind my house. They probably ran for cover!

#5 ·
Mine did that all the time after sitting for a while,a float sticking will cause it,But what I have seen on these Kehien carbs that is a pretty common problem, is the needle valve starts wearing a little ring around it that barely can see and most of the time is hard to feel unless you have soft skin. Most people who wrench any at all usually have a skin that is usually rough, so a big magnifying glass helps a lot. Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

I wouldn't worry about it.Not riding a bike often enough is harder on them than any thing else IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.