beyond fifth - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > Transmission / Rear End

Transmission / Rear End
Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM

kc2dgq will become famous soon enough
JMHO....but the setup on the VN750 can accommodate both low end and high end pretty well.

I like the low end rumble (sort of) when lugging the engine at low speeds like Wolfie said.....

I also appreciate the high end on open highways....this bike absolutely has plenty of power and leftover throttle while cruising at 80mph.....and the bike transforms itself above 5K rpm...it just loves the higher RPM range.

I do a lot of both types of driving...and I think the VN750 handles both fairly well.....quick response and nimble for twistys.... not getting left behind on the road by bigger bikes, and not guzzling fuel like some of the big twins.

You may not be able to have it all in one bike, but in my opinion it is a decent compromise.....and for the price of this bike it is pretty reliable and low maintenance compared to many others.

Light Bar mounts:http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23644

Turn signal light inserts LED:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21752
http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.p...pictureid=2537

2006 VN750
VROC # 34354
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
VN UNDERTAKER

new rider 9984 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
JMHO....but the setup on the VN750 can accommodate both low end and high end pretty well.

I like the low end rumble (sort of) when lugging the engine at low speeds like Wolfie said.....

I also appreciate the high end on open highways....this bike absolutely has plenty of power and leftover throttle while cruising at 80mph.....and the bike transforms itself above 5K rpm...it just loves the higher RPM range.

I do a lot of both types of driving...and I think the VN750 handles both fairly well.....quick response and nimble for twistys.... not getting left behind on the road by bigger bikes, and not guzzling fuel like some of the big twins.

You may not be able to have it all in one bike, but in my opinion it is a decent compromise.....and for the price of this bike it is pretty reliable and low maintenance compared to many others.
i agree and that is why i dont want to change the ratios on the original gearing just want to add a taller one onto the end creating the ability to instead of hanging with the big boys making them say "wtf that was a 750 wasnt it?" or "where do i get a bike like that?"

once i get alternate transportation and black betty isnt my daily driver i will look into finding a cheap motor to tinker with this way i can build it then just swap it on the bike and compare i want this sixth gear to be an option on the bike where as if a person wanted they could ride in 5th all day with no damage being done but if for any reason a person decided to kick it up in the triple digits and risk the consequences that could occur due to rider error or other idiots on the road then all they have to do is exactly that kick it up a gear kinda like an overdrive you dont have to use it but its there if you need it or want to use it

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM
HWLBTSDBTS

Knifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura about
A taller 6th gear won't make the bike go faster of let it achieve a higher top speed. Read "suitcases" and my posts.

Your thinking is sound but you don't understand the physics....
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Wolfie will become famous soon enoughWolfie will become famous soon enough
Its got nothing to do with physics...a 6th gear with a higher ratio would certainly give you more top end (mebbe 120 instead of 110)....thats why the bikes on Bonneville have small rear sprockets, as say compared to one on a trials bike. Its all ratio, and Ive proven it in practice. But anyway....

If anyone remembers, in the early 70's, Suzuki had a street/trail bike. 90cc. Was only a 4 speed, but had a hi/low transfer case (basically). So, for riding off road, you'd use the 4 low gears, on street, the 4 high. Low top speed was 45, and high top speed was around 55.
This setup would be great for the Vulcan, thus changing for either city riding or hiway...and could be done, as a "bolt on" to the existing tranny at the splines. Would require a shorter driveshaft, and possinly a few minor frame mods....IMO, barely worth it, unless yer keepin it till death. Now, had it come from the factory like that, would have been sweet !....BTW, the ENs had 6 speeds in em, and the EN 450/454 LTD supposedly topped out at 110 as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
HWLBTSDBTS

Knifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura aboutKnifemaker has a spectacular aura about
Physics has everything to with it. You can't put a tiny sprocket on a 50cc bike and expect it to go 200 mph.

Doing runs at Bonniville are fine, you got miles of flat surface to try and get up to speed on. Your also laying on the bike.

I'm not saying you couldn't pick up a few mph on the Vulcan. Just nothing so significant the "big boys" would say "wtf that was a 750 wasnt it?" or "where do i get a bike like that?"

Again if 65 horsepower is all you need to go 180 mph why do they even make bigger engines? LOFL
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

It still has nothing to do with physics...has to do with engineering and fact....gear ratios mean everything to a smaller engine...the Unimog now has a 14 speed auto tranny, and a tiny diesel engine....the more gears, with a close ratio, strains less on a small engine...now, spread the ratios out some, and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio

Same as if you put larger diam rear tires in a rear drive vehicle, you wont get as quick a start, but your top mph will increase some.
And as Ive stated, the parts labor involved to do this to the Vulcan would hardly be worth the yield...
And yes, in theory, you could manage 180mph on a 50cc...you'd need about 10 miles to get to that point though...unless the tranny compensated for the engine size by having 10 fwd speeds....
Modifying trannies has been done for ages...5 speed harleys were made into 6 speeds, and for trikes, even a reverse added.

5th on a Vulcan is 0.857:1...if it wer made a 0.550:1 , or a 6th gear that was say 0.450:1, the Vulcan could do 130mph.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
HWLBTSDBTS

I'm not going to argue with you. First, EVERYTHING has to do with physics.

Second no way in hell a 50cc bike will ever reach 180 mph unless it either somehow makes 250hp or has some amazing aerodynamics.
See here:
http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm

From another article on gearingread the last line)

"Calculate theoretical speed for a car in each of its gear ratios. If a car has less than 6 speeds, only enter numbers for the ratios that apply (i.e. no need to enter anything in '6th' gear for a car with only 5 speeds). Use redline RPM to figure top speed for each gear. Note that you will get ridiculous speeds for overdrive gears. This is because in reality top speed is physically limited in one of two ways, either by being geared relatively low or by aerodynamic drag. use the horsepower calculator to find out how much power a car would require at a given speed. If it doesn't make that much power, it can't go that speed no matter how it's geared."

So, sorry. You can't break the rules of physics. A 12 horsepower 50cc regular on the road scooter will never go 180mph no matter what gearing it has. Period. It just lacks the power to overcome the air resistance.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

But we werent talking about a 50c scooter...was about the Vulcan, and not so much to get a higher top speed, but to be able to cruise on the hiway, at say 75, at a lower RPM, thus using less fuel....
And aerodynamically, 75 on a Vulcan is more than possible....physics included, lol....and who cares if ya wont argue, Im here to post facts...Im correct in theory and practice. And have proven it to a degree when I was building drag cars, and fully with racebikes. So, who cares what you think ???
'65 Chevy van, flat front, 6 cyl 230cu in, 130mph in 1/2 mile...that was in 1975 with a modified rear, exhaust and head....scary sheit doin it too !!!! It used to top out at 90, and I was able to lift (bouncing) the front wheel off the ground in first.
Damn brother...ya need to stop being such a pessimist....lol...."positive waves".....aummmm

Oh yeah...I had a Yammy 50cc scooter...a Zuma I think...topped out at 29mph for legal/license reasons...I modded it to go 45, by regearing, exhaust, and head (intake/exhaust port shaving), carb modifications. Thats 1/3 faster. And that was only a few yrs back, so it aint senility talking...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

OlHossCanada will become famous soon enoughOlHossCanada will become famous soon enough
I worked out the theoretical top speed possible on the vn750 a few years ago using an equation I found on the msgroup.org site.
With the current gear ratios a Canadian or US bike theoretically tops out at ~123 mph in 5th gear at the redline of 8,500 rpm.

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

OlHossCanada will become famous soon enoughOlHossCanada will become famous soon enough
http://msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=094&Set=071-105
Using the equation in this link the top theoretical speed possible with the OEM gearing on the VN750 is about 123 mph on Canadian and US bikes.
The European bikes have one tooth more or less on one gear, that slighty changes the top speed possible.
Sorry but I don't recall the particulars right now, and I'm not interested enough to look it up and work the math.

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement