Gas dumping out the air cleaner - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums > Technical Forum > Carbs and Fuel System

Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Misfittom138 is on a distinguished road
Gas dumping out the air cleaner

Yep, tried to fire bike this morning, wouldn't start. Came home from work, cleaned plugs, saw gas on them. Twisted the throttle and then gas started pouring out of my air cleaner. I'm guessing float is stuck? Not sure. Just researched and it looks like a rebuild kit isn't to be found, so what next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

OlHossCanada will become famous soon enoughOlHossCanada will become famous soon enough
I think lance328 had a list of all the o-rings needed for a carb overhaul. You might try to pm him or e-mail.

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Got some carb cleaner and seafoam today. Gonna start to find out what the problem is. I'm hoping the float is just gummed up or something is caught in it.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM

VN750Rider/Jerry will become famous soon enough
Be careful you don't wind up with a crankcase full of gas. It sounds like the float needle valves are not sealing. But, also there is no way for gas to to get into the carbs without either the engine running, or prolonged use of the started, to open the vacuum operated petcock.

I would first drain the carbs, remove the fuel lines from the tank, fill the carbs full of Seafoam through the fuel lines, let soak 24 hours, drain out the Seafoam, but everything back, and see what happens. If it STILL does it, it's time to remove the carbs, give them a good cleaning, and probably replace a few parts. Jerry.

2002 Vulcan 750. Engine out, awaiting new stator and some other parts:
CA emissions removed
Air injection removed
Left front brake removed
Decel throttle cable removed
Nanny switches removed
Honda Rebel 250 mirrors
Kawasaki extended backrest
Kawasaki rack
Kawasaki saddlebag brackets
Rear turn signals relocated.
Kawasaki bolt on leather saddlebags
Headlight and brakelight modulators
WestCo battery w/tender
Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Adventuregeek

Tiki Mon is on a distinguished road
Don't forget the trick about shooting carb cleaner up the float drains (fill, wait a few, drain and repeat). Just stick the jet-spray tube right up the drain. I also LOADED my gas with Seafoam, then did "1-minute run, 20 minute soak" cycles in the yard for most of a Saturday. That got it running OK, then changed the oil/filter, and an easy ride finished clearing the float out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM

I did buy Seafoam. Might try the carb cleaner up the drain trick next. Carb cleaner in the eye hurts!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM

VN750Rider/Jerry will become famous soon enough
"Carb cleaner in the eye hurts!" Tell me about it. I've gotten it in my eyes several times. I always have a water hose handy when using it, just in case. I use Gumout by the case, as a general purpose cleaner.

I actually do not recommend spraying Gumout type carb cleaner in the carbs, it will damage anything made out of plastic or rubber. Filling the carbs with Seafoam and letting them soak for 24 hours should do it, if it can be done that way. If it doesn't, then tear into the carbs and clean them right. If there is any doubt about the float needles, replace them.

If you are going to remove the carbs, something I learned a long time ago, the only time I have ever pulled the carbs on a VN750, will make it easier. Remove the gas tank, and use wire or string to hold the air box (surge tank) from falling down while you remove the carbs. You can completely remove the rubber ducts between the carbs and the surge tank to give you more room. When putting them back, make sure they are seated all the way around. DO NOT use a screwdriver of something similar to try and push them into place. It will poke a hole right through the rubber. Don't ask how I know that. Just know that those rubber ducts are not cheap. Jerry.

2002 Vulcan 750. Engine out, awaiting new stator and some other parts:
CA emissions removed
Air injection removed
Left front brake removed
Decel throttle cable removed
Nanny switches removed
Honda Rebel 250 mirrors
Kawasaki extended backrest
Kawasaki rack
Kawasaki saddlebag brackets
Rear turn signals relocated.
Kawasaki bolt on leather saddlebags
Headlight and brakelight modulators
WestCo battery w/tender
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Ok, after carb cleaner and seafoam it is running. No gas dumping yet. But it took forever to fire up, ran like crap first 5 minutes or so. Now it idles great, but when I twist throttle I get a lot of popping and small flames from the rear jug. Something isn't quite right yet. Lean it out? I did add more back pressure to pipes. (See other post in exhaust section). Gotta run for now, but I gotta get this dialed in by the weekend! Daily rider until my Harley Ironhead sportster is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement