Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Exhaust Gasket Questions

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfie 
#1 ·
1) Do the gaskets need replaced every time they're removed? Or have you been able to reuse them at least once?

Read here that there's a flat side that faces the engine...

2) Do they crush when tightened down? Also read about the Harley gaskets being better than Kawi.

Trying to decide if I should order some or wait and see if I need them first.

3) Do these look like the correct gasket? The ad says they fit a large number of engines, from 70s 2-strokes up to late model tourers.

See less See more
#4 ·
they are called crush washers because thats what they do is crush down to fill the imperfections and make an air tight seal fo there is no exhaust leak so yes they are supposed to be replaced every time

however i have had my same pipes of a few times and havent replaced them yet i did get new ones when i ordered my vance and hines pipes though

#6 ·
I had my exhaust off and re-used the ones I got, did not seem to leak or sound funny - so i am going to stick with it.

kenny

#9 · (Edited)
This is a clearer view of the gasket. If you notice, it has a definite ridge on one side. I couldn't tell if the ones you displayed have this ridge or not.

#10 · (Edited)
#12 ·
good idea always buy local when you can or all the local shops will stop carrying what you need

#14 ·
There ARE 2 diff types of Harley gaskets too...the flat, which was has been talked about here for years, and the conical type. I tried the flat, and needed to double em up....the conical ones are 10x better imo....and I get mine at a local custom shop, not a Harley dealer...custom shop dont charge me tax...

#16 ·
Ask for the conical Evo ring gaskets....Ive had my pipes off at leadt 8 times now, same gaskets....the other Harley ones are more shaped like our stock, a bit thicker, and ya can reuse mebbe 3x....price difference aint much....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.