Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Carb Rebuild Kit

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  brixst0r 
#1 ·
Has anyone found a carb rebuild kit for our bikes? I know some other machines use our carbs.

Basically I just need the 4 O-rings, but I don't like the idea of paying $20 odd dollars plus shipping for them.

#2 ·
No kits, you will have to bite the bullet. :doh:

#4 ·
hmm. That's a thought. Anyone know the Oring diameters off hand? The online just list "O-rings". One's kind of angular, but maybe a hardware store would have the big round ones.

#5 ·
Go to ACE hardware and take the o-rings with you. They should have a hanging wall like shelf of clear plastic bins with o-rings. Just match them up. I just did that recently for some o-rings around the coolant tubes where they go into the heads/cylinders and again for th o-rings under the gas cap.

If I had known about that earlier I could have saved a lot of time, money, and miles to the stealerships.

#6 · (Edited)
You will not be able to get the Carb. o-rings anywhere but kawasaki or Keihin, they are not standard o-rings. :beerchug:

The float cover o-ring cross section is square not round, and the jet cover o-ring is molded to shape.

#7 ·
Way to crush my dreams dude.

(Just kidding - thanks for sparing me a pointless trip.)

#8 · (Edited)
Way to crush my dreams dude.
When I was hunting for a rebuild kit, I couldn't find crap. I found one company that said that if I shipped my rubber out to them, they could match them. I also found kits for the air cut off valve. But no regular carb rebuild kits. I called a local dealer and they said that they could get a carb, but they wouldn't order it unless I came in to order it and then it would be 5-7 days. So I don't know what they have or if they even really had one. I realized that there were some actual broken parts on my carb though, so I ended up just getting a used carb on ebay and it works great! :rockon: Cost me $150 plus shipping. :hitanykey

#9 ·
Anyone know what other bikes use these carbs? Maybe we could get kits under another name or something. Seems odd for as common as these carbs are that kits aren't available.

#10 ·
The arctic cat 400 (I think) uses keihin cvk34 carbs, but they've got a regular float bowl on them that opens horizontally rather than the vertical split we have. It may be that that's a one cylinder motor also. I think that's it. I had one guy offer to help me convert to mikuni carbs, but he never wrote me back. It's essentially getting a similar size mikuni and then rejetting it.

I'd also be interested in finding out if you could use a larger single carburetor and just fit a t between the cylinders. That way you could shave it down to just one air filter etc... But I don't know if that's feasible.

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of getting the parts needed for the carb rebuild myself, gonna do a compression check on both cylinders first. Assuming thats fine, I cut the airbox right out , screw that gigantic thing. Hopefully all the research here pays off, and I'm one rebuild, and the new parts for the ear shave away from the bike being road ready.

The bike has always ran leaner than hell ( inside pipes are pristine clean ) can't imagine it running more rich than lean.

Oh edit: Is it a pain in the ass to rebuild the things myself? I don't like the idea of finding some one to rebuild my carbs, and asking him to put 2 shims on each needle, and new jets in without thought he might botch it up. I got the time but uncertain of what it's like doing it yourself or what special tools / tests I'd have to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.