When boredom strikes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When boredom strikes

Well i got bored looking at the bike.. Half way pissed off at myself for breaking the dang oilfilter cap as mentioned in the oil change blues thread.. Well i went to my local auto parts store and decided i was going to rattle can my tank today.. I went with a cast iron gray color from duplicolor.. I wet sanded the tank with 500 grit wiped clean with denatured alcohol and went to spraying.. Imo... It came out looking un-enthusiastically regular.. I though it would look cool.. But nope.. It looks plain.. And dare i say boring.. Ill post a picture so you all can enjoy my second fail of the day lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1494800404497_1494801610546.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	37513  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 PM

that color looks cool, maybe a gloss/semigloss clear overcoat would make it pop? I know I like a semigloss more than anything, flat always looks too plain and chalkboard-y to me, and I'm not a good enough painter to make gloss look good
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Its a weird paint due to the fact the actual color is flat but it has metallic flake in it. When its no in direct sunlight it looks flat when in the sun light it has a shimmer to it..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Garage
my bike is this color - i used vht cast iron....to give it a little more ..pop....i used a silver spray over it...hold the can back about a foot..and just basically make the nozzle spit ..it will speckle the paint in a stronger effect of flakes..i went a bit further with design detail but the speckle look has a nice appearance. if you try it and it gets to extreme of speckle do the same with black to soften, or the cast to soften look. satin clear was my finish coat.

Last edited by Brooklyn_Vulcan; 05-15-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: another process
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM

Garage
another way is to use a tooth brush...spray the paint on plastic or metal - dip the bristles of brush..and slide your finger back on the brush..the specs come off very tiny just for a glimmer effect in sun or shade.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips i was thinking of doing a matte pearl clear on it to give it a very strange effect.. Something different and fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement