Full Gear vs Fool's Gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

Full Gear vs Fool's Gear

Just a little reminder.....

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Vintage bike addict

The gear can only do so much. I figure those who choose to ride without accept the risk and the result.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Dress for the crash, not for the ride.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Hyper does it yet again!

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Seems like either those well dressed survive longer, or the longer they survive, the better dressed they become! I don't see anybody my age (61) riding with shorts and flip flops. Most of those who do are in the age bracket that thinks they are bullet proof. I wear shorts and flip flops, but not while riding!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

It has been over 6 months since I broke my leg by dragging it along a guardrail for 50 feet, and it is a long slow healing process for me. I believe the fact that I was wearing boots and chaps prevented a worse injury, and possibly even saved my leg. I`m looking forward to getting back in the saddle next spring, and will be looking for a better, cooler summer riding jacket, because I will be wearing ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME. (ATGATT)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Probably now is the time to be shopping for a bargain. A ballistic nylon mesh jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows and padding across much of the back was my second purchase (helmet first). Really not hot at all when riding.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

You`re right about this being the time to look for a bargain. I think I`ll be looking for a Hi-Vis jacket and helmet this time. I tried on several reflective vests last spring, but couldn`t find any big enough to fit over my jacket. I need something cooler for summer anyway.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Master Procrastinator

Send a message via AIM to bigrepp61
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiq View Post
The gear can only do so much. I figure those who choose to ride without accept the risk and the result.
i believe this is what darwin was talking about with his natural selection!!

Mike Reppert
2002 VN 750
1980 Monte carlo

"I am not over weight ,I am under tall" Denny
^^^^^ i completely agree^^^^^^
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Love My Baby

You know, I have seen the results of hundreds of car accidents where people's skulls have been crushed, bones broken beyond repair, etc.

Professional drivers wear protective gear while driving their race cars which have even more protective passenger compartments than street cars. And professional drivers have more training than most cagers on the road.

Why don't we think that it's stupid not to wear ATGATT while driving in a car? I recently read in a thread that 20 percent of all vehicle fatalities are motorcyclists. That means that 80 percent of all vehicular fatalities are from car drivers, passengers or pedestrians. This should logically tell us that pedestrians and car drivers and passengers should be wearing ATGATT or they are foolishly risking their lives.

I'm not bucking the use of riding gear, I just feel that safe and defensive driving is much more appropriate than thinking that the gear is going to protect you. Wearing ATG is not going to help you one bit if you are schmushed against a concrete barrier or other vehicle when your riding 90 mph plus and weaving in & out of traffic like an idiotic speed demon. Wearing ATG isn't going to help you drive better if you've consumed even a small amount of alcohol at dinner or otherwise. In fact, wearing ATG doesn't help you drive any better at all, and may even make some fools think they can drive faster or riskier because they have "protection."

Personally, the only protective gear I wear ATT is my gloves, and I'm looking for a good light pair of riding shoes and a nice reflective vest or a light-weight reflective mesh jacket. But I NEVER drink a drop of alcohol when I ride or allow a passenger to have any alcohol, either. And I'm constantly placing myself in the least risky riding position among traffic, have my finger on the horn button and keep out of people's blind spots. I keep my baby in gear when stopped at a light and I'm very mindful of cars coming up behind me. I've taken the beginners and advanced riders courses and I incorporated what I learned there into my driving habits. I know the gear will help, but I know the gear would help in a car accident, too. I work in ICU with many traumas, and I've seen the effects of car and motorcycle accidents. Almost every fatal or near fatal motorcycle accident I've seen was with people wearing helmets (not sure about jackets, etc. but the paramedics always let us know if helmets were in use). Most were either drinking alcohol or running from the cops. However, in every case of fatal or near fatal car accident, none of the occupants were wearing helmets that "could have" saved their lives or protected them from serious head injuries.

Why isn't it publically scorned to not wear a helmet in a car, but it is on a motorcycle. Professional race drivers wear helmets because they feel it protects them, why shouldn't non-professionals who don't know how to drive as well wear them too?

I believe that you can not justify having to wear a helmet on a motorcycle any more than while in car. On the surface it might seem more necessary on a motorcycle, but the facts don't pan out because there are so many more people dying or getting serious injuries in car accidents than motorcycle accidents. Either everyone should wear ATGATT or it shouldn't matter at all.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

Last edited by rubyrick; 02-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement