Am I paranoid? (Damn dampers) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Am I paranoid? (Damn dampers)

What other sources of vibration could there be? I worry (probably unreasonably) that the dampers I installed were old and fading, or that the dampers were never bad in the first place (which would be a real kick in the d!ck, but hey I already did the job no sense in complaining)

I would say the engine is smoother than it was, in that around 4-5k it doesn't buzz the whole bike like crazy and make my feet go numb within a few minutes, but on the highway around 60-80 mph (4-5k rpm) I DO get a lesser buzzing in the footpegs which will EVENTUALLY make my feet TINGLE, but not go NUMB. But these bikes weren't really built for ~70mph cruising, were they?

Am I overthinking this? Did I just forget what this bike felt like when I first got it since I didn't rev it out much (until I earshaved it, so now I rev it all over)

I've loosened and re-torqued the mounting bolts a couple times now, which has not seemed to make a notable lasting improvement. What else Might I try, other than calling a shrink to help me with my crazy? I hear so many people talk about "surprisingly smooth" after a damper install, which I imagined as electirc motor smooth for some crazy reason, but this IS a 45 degree v-twin afterall, so it's SUPPOSED to vibrate some, right? Maybe my dampers weren't as bad as others when they had to replace them, so the difference is less notable...

(I have been super anxious lately about anything automotive with my 2014 Mazda 3 shaking like a leaf 'cause of a bad motor mount, and blowing a speaker on top of all the balance damper madness I just went through, so I may just need to get my head straight and ride the damn thing and stop worrying so much. I mean the thing's not gonna explode on me afterall, at worst the balancer gear would knock on the case if the dampers failed)

(And before you ask, I am 100% sure I timed it properly and used blue loctite on the balancer bolt. All parts were ordered from PartZilla)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM
HWLBTSDBTS

Garage
Perhaps a little paranoid. (Do check the oil screen after a few hundred miles)

Yes, these bikes do vibrate. Those rubber pieces where the mounting bolts go do likely wear a bit, but I bought my bike brand new, and there was a distinct zone in the RPM band where the mirrors would blur, and my feet would tingle.

But these bikes do like to rev up...at triple digit speeds the bike was in fact smoother. I'd say ride the thing for awhile and try and jot down what engine speeds seem to produce the most vibration. Each bike from my experience just runs a bit different, my older project bike when I rode it seemed to vibrate more than my newer one.
As you said, yes, V twins tend to shake a bit. My inline four freaked me out because it was so smooth... What you have to look out for is if the vibration is exactly the same regardless of engine speed.

Try going faster

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, knifemaker. I appreciate the peace of mind, knowing yours had some vibes from the factory puts me at ease lol. I musta been expecting something ridiculous for whatever reason

The last thing on the to do list I wrote out for the bike is "ride that fuc#er" so I'm on the same page as you are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement