Asking for some input - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Asking for some input

After spending most of the winter rebuilding my engine I finally got to try to start it yesterday. All I get is backfire thru the exhaust. I found some excellent info on this forum. I know the battery was sitting all winter and was weak so I have it charging. I will try again today. I also did the earshave when I had engine out. I feel I am getting good pressure from exhaust while cranking . I dont know if that is a reliable indicator regarding timing?. I really believe I have the valve timing correct, but ... I think I will stop at the local Harbor Freight to get a compression guage to verify compression. I think it is getting gas. It was a long day so I only looked at one plug, appeared wet. I'll have to try this again. One more thing, if MCCT were not turned in enough would that affect timing in any way. I had them snug with no play in the chain but I dont think they were turned in as far as I had them last year before my rebuild. Any suggestions, pointers, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM

did you do anything to retune your carburetors while you did the earshave? are you cracking the throttle while cranking with choke on? (if so, don't)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes I installed new jets 140/40, and two needle shim. I have the mixture screws turned out 2.5 turns . I will try without the throttle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM

you may also want to experiment with half choke and turning the idle adjustment screw out. With new jets I sometimes can't use full choke, too rich for the bike. I usually roll 1/2 choke and hold the starter for 1-2 seconds until it starts, THEN give it a little rev to wake it up and slowly let the choke down.

Still working on the perfect way to start the bike up. Carbureted bikes can be real finnicky
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

OK I checked compression and it is fine both cylinders. I turned the air/fuel mix screws in about 1/2 turn and out a bit. Really I didnt turn them enough to make a difference in my opinion but the bike started and ran for about 40 seconds and shut off, so I'm thinking something in the carb. Of course I ran the battery down again, so it is charging. I dont have an AGM on it but I jumped it from another.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Got it running ! The idle screw was messed up. I fixed that and had to turn that out some but it runs. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement