Engine locking up after case split - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
BrennanPeab

Garage
Engine locking up after case split

I recently broke down the engine on my '94 Vulcan to replace a broken tie rod, and over all it went much smoother than i expected. After finally reinstalling the engine, I go to prime the oil pump before start-up and all i get is a click. after testing the battery, solenoid, and starter, all of which were fine, I went ahead and pulled the right side cover and stator cover to get a better look at what was going on. What I'm finding is that the starter isn't able to turn the gears, even though the one way bearing is good and the teeth are in good shape. I can manually turn the engine both ways with a socket, but not quite a full rotation, which makes me think its somehow catching somewhere. I saw a comment from grousehunter1475 that he had a similar problem and it was his woodruff key catching on the chain. Since checking and fixing this would require dropping the engine again, which was less than fun, is there anything else I should check as a possible cause before I jump straight to pulling the left side cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan Peabody View Post
I recently broke down the engine on my '94 Vulcan to replace a broken tie rod, and over all it went much smoother than i expected. After finally reinstalling the engine, I go to prime the oil pump before start-up and all i get is a click. after testing the battery, solenoid, and starter, all of which were fine, I went ahead and pulled the right side cover and stator cover to get a better look at what was going on. What I'm finding is that the starter isn't able to turn the gears, even though the one way bearing is good and the teeth are in good shape. I can manually turn the engine both ways with a socket, but not quite a full rotation, which makes me think its somehow catching somewhere. I saw a comment from grousehunter1475 that he had a similar problem and it was his woodruff key catching on the chain. Since checking and fixing this would require dropping the engine again, which was less than fun, is there anything else I should check as a possible cause before I jump straight to pulling the left side cover?

Just sayin... I've had bad starters on cars that would turn freely when power was applied but had no strength to turn the engine. Could this be happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
BrennanPeab

Garage
I thought that too and had rebuilt the starter just in case, but the issue is when I try to turn the engine over with a socket I can't get a full rotation. Like it's catching or getting jammed on something somewhere.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Could the valve timing be off or the cams mixed up between locations?

2003-19k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Me and Cinderella, we put it all together, we can drive it home, with one headlight.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
BrennanPeab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Could the valve timing be off or the cams mixed up between locations?
that's kinda what I'm thinking too after talking with a mechanic at work. Time to pull the engine tonight I guess.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:40 PM

The timing was the thing I took the most time with when I did the tie rod on my 94. Didn't want to do that job twice, lol. I bet I checked it half a dozen times to make sure the marks lined up properly.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

Current project 1994 Vulcan
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Drag Pipes
Arlen Ness Air Cleaner
2" handlebar risers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BrennanPeab

Garage
Well, I solved my problem and learned a lesson in fixing problems before they start. My exhaust valves were looking a little iffy, but i had ignored them. After pulling the engine to check everything, I found that three if the 4 exhaust valves had gotten stuck down and broke off. I guess I should be glad I hadn't started the engine. It looks like for whatever reason the collets holding the valves in place had been worn down or were loose fitting. Has anyone stumbled on a cheap place to get valves? even used ones? The absolute cheapest i can get them is $35 each.

Last edited by Brennan Peabody; 02-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM

I would check ebay first, have seen quite few on there over the years. From new OEM valves to new/used heads.

Should check the pistons/rings closely, may have cracked when they hit the valves.

2003-19k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Me and Cinderella, we put it all together, we can drive it home, with one headlight.

Last edited by Spockster; 02-15-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement