Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Need help please.

Okay so I have been reading and reading and reading on here. And trying idea after idea. I can get my vulcan to even fire up.... so here's the low down. 2005 vn750. Was gifted to me because the person was mechanically un-inclined lol... they had a friend that is a mechanic go through the carbs and clean them and put them back on.. someone tried to do an ear shave but to no avail because they just removed the air boxes... so now I have open carbs. To the best of my knowledge I should still be able to get it to at least fire.. so I do the norms when you get somthing new. I changed spark plugs to the suggested iridium plugs, drained gas, was nasty and yellow in color. Drained float bowls to remove old nasty gas, and put a new battery in, also the suggested agm battery. So I put in the key and put on the choke and pushed the button...... nothing.... I tore everything down again checked plugs to make sure they had gas on them and they did... so I'm assuming the carbs have fuel in them... I even tried brake clean to give it an extra kick..... nothing... I'm at a loss and could use some suggestions that maybe I just didn't find on here.. please help. And thanks for any response.

The new guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanderson87 View Post
Okay so I have been reading and reading and reading on here. And trying idea after idea. I can get my vulcan to even fire up.... so here's the low down. 2005 vn750. Was gifted to me because the person was mechanically un-inclined lol... they had a friend that is a mechanic go through the carbs and clean them and put them back on.. someone tried to do an ear shave but to no avail because they just removed the air boxes... so now I have open carbs. To the best of my knowledge I should still be able to get it to at least fire.. so I do the norms when you get somthing new. I changed spark plugs to the suggested iridium plugs, drained gas, was nasty and yellow in color. Drained float bowls to remove old nasty gas, and put a new battery in, also the suggested agm battery. So I put in the key and put on the choke and pushed the button...... nothing.... I tore everything down again checked plugs to make sure they had gas on them and they did... so I'm assuming the carbs have fuel in them... I even tried brake clean to give it an extra kick..... nothing... I'm at a loss and could use some suggestions that maybe I just didn't find on here.. please help. And thanks for any response.

The new guy!
OK. We need to clear a few things first. You wrote, "I can get my vulcan to even fire up....." I believe you mean "can not" get it to even fire. Is that correct? What do you get? Does it turn over at all or just nothing when you turn the key? If it turns over does it sound like a weak battery or it turns over and will just not ignite on its own?
Bryanderson87 likes this.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
(One year plus with no signs of the Big "C" returning
so either I am not rotting now or I'm just plain rotten)
Tom
Vulcan 2000
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

So yes you are correct. I "can not" get it to fire... yes it turns over... I turn the key on, everything lights up, I push the start button and it turns over but won't fire. It almost acts like it's not getting fuel but I pulled the plugs and they smell of fuel and feel wet. Or they aren't getting spark but I just replaced the plugs and before I replaced them it would fire but would die quick and backfired pretty bad and smelled awful. Therefore I found out about bad gas and replaced gas and plugs and battery... I guess my thing is it fired up before and won't even fire up now

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:34 PM

You need gas, air and fire. You have air (no air cleaners=bad) and it sounds like gas (wet plugs) that leaves fire. Check for spark, clean all electrical contacts on the coils especially the grounds. Check back if you have spark. Harbor Freight has a neat little gadget that goes between the spark plug and wire. It is clear and lets you see the spark without having to hold the wire and spark plug next to the cylinder to see if it jumps.

Good luck.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes. One more for forgiving Wolfie.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I will check the spark today and keep the post updated.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
could possibly be flooding out due to either the float bowls being out of adjustment or sticking(dirty) float needles

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
earshaved
lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat
BOO

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE.
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson aka Old Dog
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I will so give each that a go. I'm going to check spark and make sure that end of things is okay, and then carb removal here I come haha

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up Bad gas

Maybe you could try adding Seafoam to help clean and stabilize the gas. Since I found out about it here, I use it regularly and when I store it,and I noticed the difference right away. Just a suggestion before you pull the carbs. I was lucky,but my 1991 now starts up 1st time,warm or cold in all weather.Good luck.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Okay so. I checked the carbs and they are getting fuel, the petcock is releasing fuel as well... I checked all the plugs again and a very good spark from all of them, all plugs were wet when I pulled them and smelled of fuel... I checked compression and compression is good as well. So I'm getting everything I need. I have ever compression, I have air, I have spark, and I have fuel.... turn the key, everything lights up, push the start button, just chugs and chugs and chugs absolutly will not fire... tried with just choke. Tried with just throttle tried with choke and throttle tried with starting fluid... nothing.... I'm at a loss and am losing my mind... Haha on top of I'm going to start a new job soon and I'm the only person in my house without a vehicle. So I need this bike to work soon..

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
sounds like it is flooding (wet plugs).drain the float bowls. pull plugs,dry them off and reinsert them.turn on gas and try to start.if it is flooding out it will run until the float bowls fill up and then die

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
earshaved
lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat
BOO

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away