Again with a water pump question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Again with a water pump question

I think I may have the same question as debtom6153 but here goes. I too am in the middle of replacing water pump impellar and mechanical seal. I pulled the mechanical seal out and found a gooey red silicon type material. when I pulled out that material a metal ring came along. What I am wondering is - is that part of the inner bearing or seal. Does that mean I must remove the shaft and replace it or can you tell by my pics if this is normal. I just want to get this bike going again , she treated me well. I would rather not have to pull the shaft but if I must thats ok.. Please someone let me know if you can tell if the inner seal came apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	34417   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	34425   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	34433  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 AM

I have been away from the forum for a while so I am not up on the post you reference. However, I do know the answer to your question/problem. You should have stopped when you pulled the first seal. I do not know how long it took you or how hard it was to do it, but you removed the seal from the sealed bearing behind the "mechanical seal" which was the impeller shaft seal. I have not read the book for the replacement of the sealed bearing and do not know if it can be replaced without splitting the case. I suspect it cannot. What you are seeing are the actual roller ball bearings inside the sealed bearing. That is what keeps the impeller suspended in place, moving freely and the coolant and oil away from each other.

On the plus side you may have needed to replace it anyway and now you know what the inside of that sealed bearing looks like. Some are roller bearings not balls.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes. One more for forgiving Wolfie.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Actually, after thinking it over you will need to split the case. the shaft is held in place by a c-clip on the other side of that bearing.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes. One more for forgiving Wolfie.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply - It was acutally really easy to take out, almost fell out. I kind of figured that is what I would have to do. Like you said it may be for the best because the shaft has some play in it. I am wondering if that was my vibration I felt. Anyway I am preparing to split the case. Heck I basically have the whole winter to do it. I will be getting started on that shortly. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:28 PM

OK, I am kind of confused. What kind of fell out? The bearing or the impeller shaft?. I don't think either should have came out easy from the outside of the case. The shaft should have a c-clip next to the bearing that keeps it in place and the bearing should be a press fit.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

The ring with the silicone on it that looks like it goes on the bearing came off easily. The shaft is in place. I can see the rollers (or roller covers) on the bearing but the bearing itself is still in the engine. I can feel the c clip still on the shaft and I know the bearing is in place but what concerns me is the ring on the bearing came off. I am told by many that is not good and requires the crankcase to be split to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement