Broken Bolt Mount - Leaking Oil - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Broken Bolt Mount - Leaking Oil

Have had my 750 for about 4 months now. Just started to notice some oil on the garage floor. I am not a mechanical guy, so please forgive incorrect lingo and ignorance. Got under the bike and noticed one of the bolts that hold the two engine halves together has a broken mount. There is a bit of oil on the bolt, so it seems like it's not holding everything together tight enough. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniBolt.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	32826  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 AM

It would appear you are correct. Part of your case is broken. Maybe hit something on the road? The only fixes I can think of require the engine to be removed from the frame at least. The bolt boss could be welded up, machined flat and drilled/tapped for the bolt. If you are only losing a few drops I would just put a piece of cardboard under it for now. Someday you may have to pull the engine and can deal with it then. Maybe even just get a used side case for cheaper than paying a machine shop. I wouldn't try it at home. Sorry, maybe someone else will have another idea.

If you check Roach's rebuild video, Pt. 6 when he splits the case, at about 3.07 minutes, you can see what it should be.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes. One more for forgiving Wolfie.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknofiliak View Post
Have had my 750 for about 4 months now. Just started to notice some oil on the garage floor. I am not a mechanical guy, so please forgive incorrect lingo and ignorance. Got under the bike and noticed one of the bolts that hold the two engine halves together has a broken mount. There is a bit of oil on the bolt, so it seems like it's not holding everything together tight enough. Any thoughts?
It is a little difficult to see from the picture angle and I am not near my biked but if you were to put a bolt through the hole would there be anyplace with threads to hold it in place or is there a second tab that will be pulled snug if a nut was used with the mentioned bolt? If the answer is no to both questions (and I am pretty sure the answer to both qwstion is "no") then your only choice is to have someone weld a new tab with threads in place so as to be able to hold the two halves together. I also agree that the motor should come out so you can see if there is a crack waiting to let loose when you are far enough away from home to cause a major problem. I would not ride it until you know if there is a crack lurking in the dirt and grime just waiting to let loose and cause a real major problem. I decent welder should be able to make up a piece for you in a minimum amount of time but it does need to come apart to get a proper weld done with a new threaded tab. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
(One year plus with no signs of the Big "C" returning
so either I am not rotting now or I'm just plain rotten)
Tom
Vulcan 2000

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM

Yep, I had not thought about a possible crack, but that is a real problem if it is there. Especially since something broke the original metal off. Drain the oil and pour alcohol in the case. It will leak though a crack you cannot see (used to use it to find cracks in distributors on cages). If may also be possible to tap threads in a small piece of aluminum stock and have it welded onto the bottom of the case. There could be a small gap between the new stock and the other case as long as the mating surfaces were tight.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes. One more for forgiving Wolfie.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
Yep, I had not thought about a possible crack, but that is a real problem if it is there. Especially since something broke the original metal off. Drain the oil and pour alcohol in the case. It will leak though a crack you cannot see (used to use it to find cracks in distributors on cages). If may also be possible to tap threads in a small piece of aluminum stock and have it welded onto the bottom of the case. There could be a small gap between the new stock and the other case as long as the mating surfaces were tight.
The alcohol idea sounds pretty good. It makes complete sense and I am sure I would never have thought of trying something like that on my own. I appreciate the tip for future reference. I just hope I don't need it for one of my own situations. Thanks.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Alright guys, I took all of the advice I got and realized I don't have the time/mechanical fortitude to do too much about it. I can trace the incident back to a piece of concrete kicked up by a car, so I filed an insurance claim. Got a few quotes on how much and how long it would take to get it all fixed and they were more than the bike is worth. Adjuster is coming out on Wednesday and we'll see what they think.

I am heartbroken.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
If insurance totals it, buy it back for whatever cheap price they give you, and use some of the cash to buy an engine off eBay for $500-600.

Easy peezy swap.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
If insurance totals it, buy it back for whatever cheap price they give you, and use some of the cash to buy an engine off eBay for $500-600.

Easy peezy swap.
Was gonna say the same thing

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
earshaved
lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat
BOO

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE.
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson aka Old Dog
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknofiliak View Post
Alright guys, I took all of the advice I got and realized I don't have the time/mechanical fortitude to do too much about it. I can trace the incident back to a piece of concrete kicked up by a car, so I filed an insurance claim. Got a few quotes on how much and how long it would take to get it all fixed and they were more than the bike is worth. Adjuster is coming out on Wednesday and we'll see what they think.

I am heartbroken.
If all that is wrong is the tab then I don't see how he can total the bike. That fix for a regular experienced welder is very simple. Where are you located? This is why we prefer that you do an introduction under the Newbie Check-In and tell us about your riding/wrenching experience and your location. There may be a forum member close by that could help you pull and split the case and possibly suggest a welder for the actual repair. Good luck.

Tom
Vulcan 2000

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 07-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:18 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Another idea, without having to remove the engine, would be to thoroughly clean the case around the broken piece, scuff up the case and put a nice layer of JB weld over it.
If done properly, JB weld can hold for the lifetime of the bike.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement