Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Fixing part 39110 (Tie Rod)

Thank you all for your replies. I was able to get the rod (pn 39110) in without splitting the case open with the help of my father in law " The great one " with removing clutch and stator and of course it being a 2 man job and A LOT of patience was able to remove the broken rod from a small hole on the stator side using a ratchet w/extension (That was the easy part) replacing the new rod was a bit difficult but we managed to get it in using a rubber hose inserting it from stator side while helper #2 holds pn13161 in place from clutch side (we used an old wire hanger) the nuts on the rod were set prior to replacing, with only the shifter side having put lock tight. once the rod was screwed into pn13161 we unwound it (using a flat head srewdriver) almost to the point it would fall out (keep in mind counting every 1/4 turn) the whole assembly with pn13242a was disconnected from the motor for easier accessability. Now here is why we had to keep count of how many turns we unwound it because it took us a few tries just to get it to screw into pn13242a. once we got the rod in, using a wrench tightened the nut on pn13161 first (because it had the lock tight) then tightened pn13241a last and used lock tight. At this point the assembly was put back in place and we checked to make sure it could shift through all the gears before putting the clutch and stator back together. It was a long road getting a $7 part in without splitting the case but it is possible. why you might ask did we do it ourselves? well the bike cost me $500 (Hence it was broken) to own it, the shop wanted $2000 to do the job (minimum cost) also the only place that had an engine where im at wanted $1800. I could have bought a whole bike that worked for the price to fix this one. The bike was put back together and taken out for a test drive, it shfts with ease through all gears with no problems. So it is possible to do it without splitting the case open but it will require time, patience and a little bit of Macgyver Mechanics to do. I hope this might help someone who has had the same problem as me and cant afford to send it to the shop.

Last edited by bigpakapump; 07-27-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Good job and a good description of how you accomplished it.
Until I read this post, I would have said it can`t be done.
Glad to hear that I would be wrong.

Do you have small hands to be able to work inside the case?
I`m just thinking my big mitts would probably be a tight fit.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I can not believe you accomplished this!

How much torque were you able to ably to the lock nuts?

WOW!

Street
1985 VN750 Acquired Feb, 2011 - 13,676km
Mods - Ear Shave, Pickup Coil Gap, Drilled Clutch Basket, Shift Tie Rod, Mosfet R/R, MF Battery, De-Goated (H-Pipe), MCCT, Heated Grips, Plexistar 2 Windshield

Dirt
2004 KTM SX 125 - 1979 Can-Am Qualifier 250 - 1971 Kawasaki F6

Video Tutorials - Engine Rebuild - Fork Seal Replacement - Grease Swing Arm Bearings - Carb Rebuild - Spline Lube - Refilling Rear Shocks - Grease Steering Bearings

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

i have XL hands LOL...but a lot of the work is done outside of the case using needle nose pliers extensions and so forth. I would have love to take pictures but unfortunately all people would have seen were our big hands
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

You can get a lot of tourque on the lock nuts once the rod is screwed in on both ends...just keep in mind that the assembly on the gear side (13242a) needed to be removed from the case in order to bring it closer to the rod and better manuverability once screwed in the person on clutch side holds pn1342a down using a flat head screwdriver or similar tool while other person wrenches it in tight thats why only one side had the lock tight applied (because if you lock tight both ends there is a high possibility that there will be at least a thread of play). This was a very tidious process and now i can see why the shop would charge at least $2000 to do the job, however it can be done. I cannot stress enough about how patient you must be with this and having some surgical skills are needed LOL because thats what it feels like while working with this project. there is no room to get any hands in there only a finger or two, the whole job consists of using needle nose pliers, extendable magnets (the one that looks like an car antenna) XL wrenches (for the length) and a home made tool using an old wire hanger which one end was made into a loop to help manuver pn13161 while guiding the rod in to be screwed. If you have taken the clutch and stators out you will know what holes im talking about and how small the openings are so the farther your hands are away from the hole the better your view will be to see what you are doing. Again I hope this helps someone out and I try to be as detailed as possible so if you are confused dont hesitate to say and I will try to re iterate.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I am sticking this thread at this late date, 20 May, 2016, because of an ongoing discussion regarding replacing this part on Felicia Priestly bike.
Wont go into 2nd on up

It took me quite a while to find it, so hopefully it won't take so long next time.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Banned

Thank you
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Great idea...Thanks - -

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 PM

Garage
That sounds very difficult. I will be attempting the same thing over the next few weeks. I will be sure to include pictures and videos if you can see anything in the videos.
thtanner likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch1984 View Post
That sounds very difficult. I will be attempting the same thing over the next few weeks. I will be sure to include pictures and videos if you can see anything in the videos.
I've got a bike sitting in the garage just waiting for me to attempt this fix. Looking forward to any pictures/video you can provide. The pictures in the repair manual don't illustrate what can be accessed through those tiny holes in the case. Wonder why?

Good luck on the attempt!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement