Front Cylinder Oil Leak - Please Help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
'85 VN700 Owner
Front Cylinder Oil Leak - Please Help!

Hello Group,

I seem to have developed a bad oil leak somewhere on the front cylinder head on the front of the engine (just behind the radiator). It drips about one drip per 15 seconds when the engine is warm.

I cannot see the exact location of the leak, however, I know it is within a couple inches of the hose going into the cylinder head, I believe (not sure) this hose comes off of the "main air duct" below the gas tank and goes into the cylinder head. The leak is on the left side (left side of the engine if you were sitting on the bike) of the exhaust port. Again, I cannot see the leak but it is definitely coming from this area.

The manual says one cause of oil leaks could be the "air filter breather hose". Is that the small vacuum line looking hose that simply gets pushed into the right ear air filter box?

I don't know, but are there any external oil lines that bolt into the front of the cylinder that could be leaking?

This leak occurred right after the following work was completed (I don't know if it is a coincidence or not).
Changed the oil and filter, changed the coolant and lower radiator hose, spark plugs and air filters. (Note: when I changed the air filters, I DID pull out that small hose on the right ear and then put it back into the air filter box, I was trying to figure out it's purpose)

If you guys know what could be causing this leak, I would love to hear your suggestions.

As always, thank you for your time.

85 VN700 w/15,600 miles
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
Well I got oil leaking problem last weekend. It's leaking when the engine is warm and how much oil leaks out depends on how long I've been riding etc. It showed that the oil leaks from the right side because of an o-ring failure. Btw you can read about it on the forum how to fix it.
So I would recommend to take a closer look at it if you not alrdy did it.

1995 Suzuki VS800 Intruder
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
'85 VN700 Owner

Cutting the vacuum hose in the right "ear" to a 45 degree angle did not fix the leak. I am half way done (must sleep for now) with taking off the radiator so that I can get a better look. If it is one of the gaskets, is my only option pulling the engine and replacing the gasket? I am hoping there is some magic quick fix, lol. If only everything was that easy huh?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:39 AM
I hope it's not the gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder. I did one on my Honda once; it's wasn't too bad a job, but not too much fun either.
good luck!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode