Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

MOSFET recommendations?

So I'm going to be ordering a MOSFET R/R and am wondering what MOSFET kit I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
roadstercycle.com
The Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA

You can source the FH020AA cheap on ebay and built the kit yourself if you're resourceful, by buying used FH020AA regulators from wrecked FZ-09 (on eBay search FZ-09 regulator, and make sure you're looking at used units - I got one for $25!) Connectors and wiring should cost less than $45, making it a sub $80 project if you're patient.
JETHRO likes this.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 PM

I used the whole roadstercycle Shindengen FH020AA kit, couldn't have been easier and couldn't work any better. Put it all together in early 2013. Price has gone up since then.

I thought it might be too large to fit in the stock location, so it's mounted under the left side cover with an aluminum bracket I made. (cut the bottom out of a frying pan) Relocating seemed important anyway, and the bolt holes are wider on the FH20 if I'm not mistaken. Fits nice where it is now, the stock one is still in place

2003-19k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Me and Cinderella, we put it all together, we can drive it home, with one headlight.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 AM

Garage
I have looked on ebay and there is a wide range of mosfet r/rs at varying prices , How can you be sure your not getting crap without paying very high prices ,(Even then you cant be sure what your getting)

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I used the whole roadstercycle Shindengen FH020AA kit, couldn't have been easier and couldn't work any better. Put it all together in early 2013. Price has gone up since then.

I thought it might be too large to fit in the stock location, so it's mounted under the left side cover with an aluminum bracket I made. (cut the bottom out of a frying pan) Relocating seemed important anyway, and the bolt holes are wider on the FH20 if I'm not mistaken. Fits nice where it is now, the stock one is still in place
exactly the same for me, except source of kit, and bracket material (I had a piece of flat mild steel avail).

Would like to add, I replaced the wires from the stator to the R/R as well (mine where cooked). I spliced them as close to the engine case as possible.

2005 VN750
33.5k and counting
original stator (as far as I know)
ear shave, using Uni pod filters.
Pickup coils at 0.020 gap
VN900 seat mod
led's turns front and rear
MOSFET R/R, mounted under left side cover
2-wire mod to bypass clutch/neutral nanny switches
removed side stand switch.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHRO View Post
I have looked on ebay and there is a wide range of mosfet r/rs at varying prices , How can you be sure your not getting crap without paying very high prices ,(Even then you cant be sure what your getting)
FH020AA

As I said before, buy a used FZ-09 regulator. They're true FH020AAs and under $50 usually.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just end up buying the kit just for convenience though.
thtanner likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 PM

It's a nice kit. The actual wiring diagram for a MOSFET is very simple and easy to follow.

They used to offer the option of supplying either a circuit breaker or a 30a maxifuse. I opted for the maxifuse, but I think the circuit breaker would have been a lot better. Easy reset and some reset automatically, don't have to carry a spare maxifuse or go hunt for one. Though it's never popped.

The guy selling those kits is a helicopter mechanic and a bike builder. Spoke to him on the phone and he was very helpful when I bought mine, even extended the warranty since I bought it in winter.
thtanner and Daniel Krueger like this.

2003-19k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Me and Cinderella, we put it all together, we can drive it home, with one headlight.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:15 AM

Garage
Ok got hold of a used fh020aa r/r off an artic cat,in mean time going to connect a cheap chinese mosfet r/r to the bike, Just one question, Will a bad stator fry a good r/r ? p.s. thanks for your help

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 AM

Garage
just one point, I have noticed is that the quality mosfet r/rs have a metal backplate on them as opposed to just the ceramic backfill .
thtanner likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement