Ignition Switched Accessories - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition Switched Accessories

PREFACE: I am sure these questions have been answered, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. I found several treads about power and ignition switches that I was able to dig through. Thron's annotated diagram and the Spockster's color diagram were very helpful. I am a very nuts and bolts, mechanically inclined, person but reading electrical diagrams is something i dont fully understand.

So, I know there are 2 different accessory leads on the bike that are always hot. I want to put a USB charging port on a dash I am making. I would like for it to turn on/off with the ignition. since the accessory leads are always hot, I can't use those and since there is no accessory leads that are switched, I am going to have to tap in to a switched power supply, correct? Looking at the diagrams, the brown/white wire on pin 6 is switched, but if I tap in to that it will not be fused, correct? The red/blue wire on pin 7 and the blue wire on pin 8 are both fused and switched, correct? Between pin 7 and 8, I am guessing pin 7 is what I should tap in to, correct? It also looks like pin 17 is switched and fused and also isn't used on my 2003 model. could I use that pin, and if yes, is that better than tapping in to pin 7? Finally, if I am tapping in to a fused and switched pin/wire do I need to bother with a SPST relay switch, it seems redundant for no reason?

So, is all that correct, or is there something else or something better that i should be doing?

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 3,000 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage
I did the same thing...mounted A USB port and a voltage monitor.
Both are wired to take power from the accessory lead in the headlight bucket.
I used an automotive relay to switch on the power with the key on.

I used the BLUE wire from the front turn signals to control the relay. I also used the front turn signal ground wire (black/yellow) The front turn signal has running lights that are on with the ignition switch.

Control voltage (switched on with ignition):
Blue wire goes to pin 86 of the relay
Black/yellow goes to pin 85 of the relay

+12V Voltage source:
+!2V from the accessory port (White/Blue) goes to pin 30 of the relay.
Ground from the accessory port (Black/Yellow) goes to pin 85 of the relay

Switched output to run your USB port:
Pin 87 of the relay (normally open)

The wire colors are the same on both accessory ports.
All Automotive relays have the same pin out (no matter what size they are). 5 wire relays will have an additional pin 87A which is Normally Closed.

I hope this helps!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It helps a little. The more I look in to it, the more I think I should not put the USB port on the same same circuit/fuse as my lights. I am planning on installing running lights with the mount I got from you, the USB port, accent lighting and a volt meter. since I am changing everything over to LEDs the USB port is going to be one of the larger draws on the system. I guess I should do some math to figure out if I need to add 1 or 2 circuits.

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 3,000 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement