Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New to me 92 VN750

Hey guys,
Just bought a 92 VN750 20k miles. Actually my friend did but I'm his mechanic so it makes more sense for me to post questions. Bought it from a guy who said he taught his wife how to ride on it. He had 2 Harleys worth about $20k each so it made sense to me. So far just went through the usual. Changed the oil which seemed new but very thin. It has a slight oil leak on the left side so no synthetic for this bike. Rotella triple T will work just fine. Pulled the oil screen out (nice feature) only had a few specs of metal in it. Changed the final drive oil which looked like it had never been changed. Pulled the(claimed to be new) 10 year old tires off (he had his wife on 10yo tires!?!) and put some Pirellis on. Couldn't find much for a radial so bias ply it is. And really? I have to take the muffler off to change the rear tire? Changed the spark plugs which was a mix of dpr8's and 7's. Plugs looked pretty good. Rear cylinder is a touch lean but I don't see where the pilot screws are. I don't have time to rebuild the carbs right now so its getting an Italian tune up with a can of seafoam. The guy we bought it from said it needed the valves adjusted. I'm thinking these are hydraulic lifters and it sounds more like cam chain slap to me. Not bad and I'm starting to lean towards that this is just the way the bike sounds. I see 2 chain adjusters that look like the automatic kind. 1 adjuster for 2 chains? If its DOHC then thats 2 cam chains per cylinder. A little bit of drag on the front brakes but I don't have time right now to rebuild them either so I just crunched the piston in and pushed it out a bunch of times and that helped. I took the bike on a 20 mile test ride and its not bad. Reasonable power, handling, comfort. I grew up on dirt bikes so I don't really like forward controls but it wasn't bad. Either way it fits my friends style of riding perfectly.

Last edited by Rakillia; 03-15-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was on the other Vulcan forum and got some of the answers to my questions. It is 1 tensioner for 2 cam chains. I'm going to try the "Grambo trick" and if it doesn't work I'll go with manual tensioners. I'm still not clear on the pilot screw location. I was told "The air adjust screws (pilot)are capped off at the factory.need a small punch or nail to put a hole in the plug and pull them out" Is it capped with foil or something? I'm assuming I'll find what you normally find when you pull the limiter cap off? I do have a color tune which this bike shouldn't mind since theres 2 plugs per cylinder. Theres 2 oil leaks. 1 is on the right front cylinder that I'm hoping is the valve cover gasket. Oil is collecting in the spark plug hole but I'm also seeing oil on the head gasket. I'm hoping its not the actual head gasket and its coming from above. The 2nd oil leak is on the left side and the oil is collecting on the frame. When I get a chance I'll give it a really good cleaning and spray it with foot powder and hopefully see where its coming from. I usually work on older bikes so chasing oil leaks is something I'm use to. The petcock also leaks fuel when you spin it but I already looked at a parts diagram and it looks like its either an o-ring or a gasket which are both $1 each so I'll just replace both of them and be done with it. I should probably also hook my carbtune up and do a vacuum sync. Are the sync ports on the manifold boots?
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
"Chain Slap" is just the automatic cam chain tensioners. Buy some manual ones and you'll never have to worry abou tit again. TOC makes a great set. Sure you can convert yours, but I trust the TOCs much more.

I swapped my bars out as I can't stand the mini apes that come with the bike. Used these and a clutch cable off an early KZ1000. https://www.denniskirk.com/599831.sku

Pilot screws are on the carbs, they're usually hidden with a little chrome plastic cap. Remove the cap to gain access.

Carb sync ports are the 2 vacuum ports on the carbs. One per side. One is connected to your petcock, the other to the emissions junk unless it was removed/capped off.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Last edited by thtanner; 03-15-2016 at 12:14 PM.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Look on your newbie post I have a few links for making mcct's

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
earshaved
lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat
BOO

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE.
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson aka Old Dog
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:14 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
The plugs for the air adjust are just thin metal plugs.I'll take a pic when I get time.

earshaved
sportster seat
BOO

BRING BACK WOLFIE.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:18 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Check this out for one of your oil leaks small oil leak, need advice Small odd hole!

earshaved
sportster seat
BOO

BRING BACK WOLFIE.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
You can edit your post so you don't have 3 replies Doc

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
"Chain Slap" is just the automatic cam chain tensioners. Buy some manual ones and you'll never have to worry abou tit again. TOC makes a great set. Sure you can convert yours, but I trust the TOCs much more.

Pilot screws are on the carbs, they're usually hidden with a little chrome plastic cap. Remove the cap to gain access.

Carb sync ports are the 2 vacuum ports on the carbs. One per side. One is connected to your petcock, the other to the emissions junk unless it was removed/capped off.

"Chain Slap" is when either the tensioner is not providing enough tension or the cam chain has stretched beyond the limits of the tensioner. I had an SV650 that the chain had stretched too far. The amount of racket that bike made is no where near what this bike sounds like. I was going to try the grambo 1st since my friend is on a very tight budget. Last season he destroyed the engine on his old bike by riding it around with about 1qt of oil. He had just got done sinking a lot of money into it to get it right. Which is also telling about his lacking mechanical skills.

So it is a vacuum actuated petcock. Thats good, I can just follow the hose off the petcock and look for something similar on the other side.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks ODD. I'll look for that hole when I have the bike again. I'll also look for the pilots. It really just needs 1/4 turn on the rear cylinder. Are the pilots in the typical location somewhere around float bowl?
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakillia View Post
Are the pilots in the typical location somewhere around float bowl?
Right Carb

Left Carb

thtanner and Paulywog like this.

2003-19k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Me and Cinderella, we put it all together, we can drive it home, with one headlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement